Plan to do this kick-off craft early in your lesson on responsibility. You will work together to make diamond-shaped “men at work” traffic signs.
Men at work signs
You will need the following supplies:
orange or yellow craft paper
black silhouette pictures of kids or people working
black electrical tape or black strips of paper
happy face stickers or drawings.
Here’s how to make your signs:
- Cut the sheets of yellow or orange paper into squares (diamonds). Cut a large number in a variety of sizes so that you have plenty of signs to post around your house.
- Glue or draw a black border around each sign. It should be 1 to 2 cm in from the edge of the sign.
- Add black silhouettes of people working to your signs. (Make sure they’re positioned so the sign is a diamond shape, not a square.)
- Add a happy face to each sign to show that they are joyful workers.
- Write “Kids at work” somewhere on each sign.
- Add your memory verse to each sign too.
- Post your signs all around the house as reminders of the importance of being willing and responsible workers. Here are some ideas regarding where to post them:
- in the entryway where your kids are responsible to place their shoes neatly, hang their coats up and put away backpacks
- on the bathroom mirror where kids will see it when they brush their teeth and wash their faces
- in the kitchen as a reminder to be cheerful about daily chores
- above a child's bed as a reminder to make their bed each day
- in the car as a reminder to “strap in” and keep the car tidy
- on the computer or TV as a reminder to follow house rules regarding digital entertainment
- near the toy bins to remind kids to pick up after themselves
- in the dining area as a reminder to tidy away dishes and wipe the table after meals
- near the bathtub as a reminder to rinse down the tub or shower after use.
- Read Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 and pray together, asking God to give you all gladness of heart and an ability to enjoy your work.
- During your study on responsibility, when your children display diligence, a willingness to work, initiative or behave responsibly, recognize their efforts by letting them add additional happy faces to your signs.
Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 “
Behold, what I have seen to be good and fitting is to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of his life that God has given him, for this is his lot. Everyone also to whom God has given wealth and possessions and power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil – this is the gift of God. For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart.”