- Write or paint the following header at the top of a large piece of poster paper: “To Love Means to Obey.”
- Choose one of these verses on obedience from John 14 and write it on your poster:
“If you love Me, you will obey what I command.”
“Whoever has My commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves Me… .”
“Jesus replied, ‘If anyone loves Me, he will obey My teaching.’ ”
- Paint your children’s feet with washable paint, and have them make footprints across the paper.
- Explain to your kids that the footprints represent someone doing exactly as they are asked. Remind them that the Bible says that if they love God, they will obey His commandments. Explain that when they obey God or their parents, they are showing that they love them.
- Remind your kids of one or two recent incidents where they obeyed you. Add one or two heart stickers (or draw heart shapes on the paper) to “reward” these examples of obedience. Thank your children for obeying and showing you that they love you and God. Let your children know that when they obey, they can add more hearts to the poster.
- Hang the poster in a prominent location as a reminder to be obedient.
Each time you add a heart to your poster, review the memory verse and remind your children that they show they love God when they obey Him and their parents.