Immerse an egg in cola and observe how the cola damages the eggshell.
Discussion point: When we nurture envy, we “damage” our outlook and attitude.
This activity illustrates the truth of Proverbs 14:30, that envying what others have can rot the attitude of our hearts.
You will need a cup, a white egg and a can of cola pop.
- Have your children immerse an egg in cola overnight.
- The next day, have your kids try to brush the egg with toothpaste to remove the stain on the egg. Use the discussion questions to explain that even though the pop is good tasting, it did some damage to the eggshell.
- Read Proverbs 14:30. Most kids have been told many times that too much sugar can cause cavities in their teeth. Explain that when we envy “stuff,” it can rot the attitude of our hearts, just as the cola will rot the eggshell. (If left longer, the cola will eat away at the eggshell.)
- Use the questions listed below to further your discussion.
- Pray a simple prayer to conclude, asking God to help you be content in life circumstances and with what you have. Ask Him to give you a hunger for healthy foods and for knowing Him better.
Questions for discussion
- Do you like the taste of pop?
- How did the pop damage the eggshell?
- Do you ever envy anyone? If so, in what way?
- How does envy damage your heart?
“A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.”