Bring home an unfamiliar fruit and encourage your children to try it.
Discussion point: Only God knows what’s inside our hearts and we should not judge others.
While you are grocery shopping, choose a piece of fruit or vegetable that looks funny on the outside but actually tastes sweet. Kiwi fruit, lychees, dragon fruit and coconuts are good examples.
Questions for discussion
- Can you describe what the fruit looks like on the outside?
- What do you imagine the fruit looks like on the inside?
- From looking at the outside, do you think it will taste good?
Once you are home, peel or slice open the fruit and compare what your children thought the fruit would look like and what it really looks like. Taste it as well. The questions for discussion can create further opportunity to point out that only God knows what is inside our hearts and that we should not judge others.
More questions for discussion
- Did it taste like you thought it would?
- Who knows what is in your heart?
- How would you feel if someone decided that they didn’t like you just by looking at a picture of you?
“There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you – who are you to judge your neighbor?”
“You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Now we know that God's judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment?”