Through crumbs and spills, try to deceive others about which treat was sampled.
Discussion point: Concealing the truth is considered lying; God always knows the truth.
Set out a variety of treats on the table. Some good ideas include melted marshmallow, icing sugar, pudding, Oreo cookie crumbs and melted chocolate with pretzels to dip in.
Have all but one person exit the room. The remaining person may sample one of the treats. (With younger children it is wise to have an adult stay to supervise quantities.) When he/she has sampled one treat, he/she calls the others back in.
Invite the others to guess which treat has been sampled. Note any deceptions the “sampler” has used, such as spilling some extra crumbs on the table to make others believe that they had actually sampled that treat. Take turns until everyone has had a chance to be the sampler at least once.
Reviewing the following questions will help you share the concept with your children that no matter what we do, God is always watching. Take time to explain that even if we conceal our sin from others, God knows what we have done. Let your children know that concealing truth is still considered lying. Choose one or more of the verses listed below to pray in closing.
Questions for discussion
- How could you tell what treat had been sampled?
- Even if we guessed wrong, who knows exactly what the sampler ate?
- Who, other than the supervisor, knows how much the sampler ate?
- Have you ever tried to cover up the truth only to find out that some little clue led your parents or teacher to the truth?
- Is it wrong to try and cover up the truth, even if you don’t say anything?
- Can you lie without saying anything at all?
- Even if your parents or teachers never know what you have done wrong, who knows?
“Surely You desire truth in the inner parts; You teach me wisdom in the inmost place.”
“My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with Me; he whose walk is blameless will minister to Me. No one who practices deceit will dwell in My house; no one who speaks falsely will stand in My presence.”
“Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me through Your law. I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on Your laws.”