Plan to do this kick-off craft early in your lesson on compassion. You’ll begin by making a special poster – a poster that encourages your children to fast from junk food for a week so you can use the money saved to buy food for your local food bank. (If your family already lives junk food free, consider fasting from another privilege instead.)
Your goal is to put into practice the concept of “true fasting” from Isaiah 58:6-7, with particular emphasis on the Scripture verses that say:
Is not this the fast that I choose . . . to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him . . .?”
- First, explain the concept of fasting to your children, and your goal of fasting to help others. If you wish, you can use an explanation like this one:
Fasting is giving up a need or desire in order to honour God. Many people fast by not eating any food at all for a period of time – they might give up food for a day, or a week, or sometimes even a month.
God asks us to care for the needs of others when we fast. So for this part of our lesson on compassion, we’re going to help others in a special way – by giving up junk food for a week. Then we can use the money we saved on junk food to buy food for people in our area who don’t have enough food to eat.
- Have your children cut pictures of their favourite treats from a grocery store flyer – treats such as sugary cereal, cookies, candy, chocolate, chips or ice cream.
- Write your chosen memory verse for this lesson on compassion on your poster.
- Next, help your children glue their pictures of treats on the poster.
- Hang your poster in a prominent place. When your children choose to forgo their usual treat, such as dessert, have them place a check mark beside the image of that treat on their poster. Use this as an opportunity to review the memory verse together too.
- When your week of fasting is complete, take a celebratory trip to the grocery store to buy food for the food bank. Many grocery stores have donation bins for the local food bank in-store.
Isaiah 58:6-7 “
Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?”