Go on a treasure hunt using clues based on noises made by various home appliances.
Discussion point: Seek true treasure – listen to God’s Word.
Special clues leading to “noisy” appliances and other items in your home are the basis for this treasure hunt. Place the clues (provided below) and hide the “treasure” before beginning your hunt. The treasure can be anything you choose, but hide it with a Bible to illustrate that the treasure represents wisdom. Explain to your children that in order to find the treasure, they must listen to each clue carefully.
To begin, read the “fridge” clue aloud. When the hunters arrive at the fridge, they should find the “washing machine” clue hidden on the fridge and so on. The hunt should eventually end up at the final destination where the treasure is hidden. If you have younger children, you may choose to give then a hint by telling them that all the clues are hidden on things that make noise.
Use these clues, or make up your own:
- Fridge: “I might buzz, but I'm not a bee. I keep your food fresh and cool, you see.”
- Washing machine: “Swish, swirl, swish. I use water for cleaning clothes, not fish.”
- Family pet: “My friendly bark means, ‘Please take me to the park!’ ” or, “My friendly ‘Meow’ means ‘Please play with me now!’ ”
- TV / VCR: “People moving on my screen, talking, laughing – it’s a scene.”
- Computer: “Whirs and hums my sounds might be; I can say anything, just program me.”
- Toilet: “Swish and swirl, but there’s no rush – my water is new with every flush.”
- Furnace: “Sometimes I grumble and sometimes I moan, but really I’m happy heating your home.”
- Dishwasher: “I make splishes, splashes and some swishes. My job is washing dirty dishes.”
- Stereo / CD player: “Playing tunes is the name of my game, loud or soft and wild or tame.”
After your children have found the treasure, take time to review the concept that wisdom is the treasure God offers to all who will listen to Him.
Questions for discussion
- What were you searching for with such passion?
- What special treasure does the Bible talk about?
- Will you listen for advice and instruction from God as carefully as you listened to your treasure hunt clues?
“My son, if you accept My words and store up My commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom and from His mouth come knowledge and understanding.”