Water and oil
Water and oil
Pour oil into coloured water and observe how the liquids refuse to mix. Then add flour, and watch the change.
Discussion point: God’s Holy Spirit helps us be accepting of others.
You will need:
¾ cup of water
3 tbsp. of cooking oil
1 cup of flour
a mixing bowl and a spoon.
- Colour the water with food colouring so that it will contrast with the oil when the oil is added.
- Add the cooking oil to the water and ask your child to mix the two ingredients together. The water and oil may appear to mix initially, but will eventually separate again.
- Explain that the water and oil represent two people who are having a hard time getting along or accepting each other’s differences. Give examples that are appropriate to your children’s lives.
- Next, measure out the flour. Explain that the flour represents the Holy Spirit. Have your children mix the flour, water and oil together. When the flour is added, the other two ingredients will no longer separate.
- Finish by reading Ephesians 4:2-3. Explain that when we allow God’s Holy Spirit to fill us, we will find it easier to be humble, gentle and patient with others. The result of God’s Spirit living in us is that we will experience more peace in our relationships with others.
“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”